Friday 18 March 2011

200 followers, contests, and critiquing buddies

WOW. I bet it's as hard for you to believe this isn't a Blogfest as it is for me. ;) If you check out my Blogfests page and scroll down a little, you'll see how insane March has been for me so far. And it's not even over yet!! I signed up for yet another Blogfest today, and I already had another couple happening in the rest of March. I figured I may as well go completely nuts for the entire month - instead of just going most of the way. :)

Okay, moving on. I have over 200 followers!! This is pretty cool, and I know it's the done thing to do contests and the like. But I'm not a contest-y sort of person, as in organising them. Still, I'd feel guilty if I didn't, because everyone else does, so I figured I could at least figure out a few prizes to give away to my followers.

Prizes:
  • 1st: $20 Amazon giftcard
  • 2nd: Your choice of a 1st page AND query critique (any genre)

    OR

    one of the following books:


    John Marsden'sTomorrow, When the War Began - book 1 in a totally awesome Young Adult series, which was recently made into a motion picture (which I haven't seen). This series was BIG in Australia. Biiiiiig. Adults and kids loved it. And anyone in between.
    Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn (book 1). Isobelle is an Australian fantasy author. My favourite book (and series) of hers, the Legendsong, wasn't available, and I haven't actually read the Obernewtyn series but I get the impression it's pretty cool! She started writing it at age 14 or so, I believe.

  • 3rd: Your choice of a query or 1st page critique (any genre, and no I don't have a creative writing degree...but I am a trigger-happy grammar Nazi! Yay!)

NB: The books are only available if Book Depository ships to your country. Check the list here.

To enter the contest, simply leave a comment here. Also, if you want to blog about the contest, you get an extra entry. And now I feel like a blog ho for trying to get more attention. But you know, I'm just trying to fit in. Hehe.

Just kidding. I seriously want to thank everyone who's followed my blog so far. I haven't said it before, even when I passed the 100 mark, or even the 50 mark, but I really do love hearing from you guys and also checking out your blogs (where it's possible, i.e. you have your blog linked from your profile). This is a great community we've got, and I love that a writer can find so much support and inspiration from her brethren scattered far and wide around the globe!

Oh, and the contest will end by March 23, my time (that being Australian WST).

Anyway, moving on. I want to mention the YAtopia Agent Pitch Contest, for which you can submit your YA or children's two-sentence pitch and go into the draw to win an impossibly awesome prize. Click on the link to find out more! Very awesome opportunity indeed!

To end this entry, I want to say that I love my critiquing buddies. Jenn right now is helping me hash out some refinements to my SUNDOWN plot, and she has introduced some excellent possibilities. She is always ready to offer her extremely "out there" (usually hilarious) interpretations of where a plot could go, and already she's helped me a lot (and made me laugh a hell of a lot...I mean, last night I was standing in the middle of a frenzied punk rock concert just laughing, because I was thinking of the idea Jenn came up with for one of my minor characters). So I guess this is a shoutout to my critiquing buddies who are awesome, and also to CPs in general because they are totally groovy in general!

25 comments:

  1. Cool; congrats on the 200 followers. Those are awesome prizes.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. 200 followers? Hon, I'm thinking somebody might beat Sandra Bullock for that Miss Congeniality sash.

    (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh, who am I kidding - I've got the Crusade to thank for a lot of it :D

    Not all of course, some of you (like you :D) I knew before the Crusade. Wheee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Trisha - I'm back in the blogosphere :) Just blogged about my earthquake experience in Christchurch, New Zealand over at Steam&Ink...
    Good to be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel a bit embarrassed that I didn't realise Isobelle Carmody is Aussie. Um-ah!
    I've seen Marsden's movie and it was all right. I wouldn't mind reading the book. I imagine it's exceptionally better.

    Congrats on your 200+ followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!
    I'm inching toward 200 myself, though where the last 13 will come from, I have no clue. ; ) I'll have to think about what to do. Have fun with the contests. I've done three since late January and I'm pooped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Charlotte - so glad you're back and safe! I was a little worried for a while there. And your comment here is the first I knew you were in Christchurch - it all makes more sense now!

    @Lynda - don't be embarrassed, I don't pay much attention to that kind of thing either...unless there's a reason for me noticing it. :) The book is awesome, and I think you'd enjoy it!

    @Zan Marie - thanks :) Mine sort of crept up too, I think all the blogfest action I've been involved in lately helped too. I guess it was worth the burnout!! lol. As for competitions, this is my first...who knows when the next will happen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your 200+ followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could have sworn I posted a comment last night... but I dont see it! So, here goes again!

    Congrats on hitting 200! That is so awesome. I love following your blog, and love having you follow me as well. I can't wait to see where you go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on hitting 200.
    I can't even remember how I stumbled on your blog, but I liked it enough to have it on the side bar on my blog so I could just stop over when you post something amazing as usual.
    This is my entry in your contest. Yay! (I say a lot of yay on your blog don't I?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 200 :) Congrats and thanks for the awesome contest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, the big two-zero-zero. Congrats! Bravo! Etc.! :P
    -Michael

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually have her book on my shelves (didn't realise that either!) It's a 1987 edition with a boring cover. It's now on my TBR list lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Lynda, tell me what you think when you've read it. I do intend to read it myself someday. lol

    @Michael and Amy - thanks! :D

    @Hope Junkie - thanks and you're welcome :P

    @Jenni - aww cheers, I love following yours too! :D

    @Akoss - I can't recall either, but was it maybe via AW or something? I'm pretty sure I've seen your name around in a few places at least. Either way, I'm very glad to be in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the 200, that's a milestone indeed, and I hope I can win something too, lol. Thanks for signing up for my blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Trisha, congrats on so many followers, and great prize! I relly liked the Obernewtyn Series, and the John Marsden series too actually - have them both on my bookshelf :) Ta for the link, will check it out.

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on 200! Thanks for sharing that link and for the goodies. :)

    Marie at the Cheetah

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Myne - thanks, and no worries :D I love blogfests!

    @Rachael - thanks! Sounds like you know your Aussie authors, some anyway :D

    @Marie - thank you!! and no worries :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go critique partners! Madeline is kind of like mine, sort of, unofficially. XD

    I'm almost caught up on my blogposts. I'm almost to just 1 day ago. XD

    ReplyDelete
  20. You and Madeline do seem like 2 peas in a pod :D And I love reading both your stories!

    Ha...re: blogfests, you wanna join some more? lol. check my list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. New follower courtesy of the show me your voice blogfest. Congrats on so many followers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Nicole, nice to see ya here :D Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Trisha! I just made a mention of you in my most recent blog post. Count as another entry? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on your mighty army of followers!

    And I'm pleased to tell you that I've picked you as my crusader spotlight of the week. And no, my decision to feature you and pimp your blog had NOTHING to do with this contest - seriously. *looks around.* You guys believe me, don't you?

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!