Tuesday 20 December 2011

Retro reads



As we near the end of year, I'm indulging in some retro reading. Not just any old stuff but the stuff I used to read when I was, say, 10. Maybe a bit older too. Maybe in my teens...in my twenties...now in my *gasp* thirties! Yes, I still love reading these books. I guess they're my form of trash. They are YA of course, and I do love a good YA read. But YA isn't really my main passion. That would be Adult fiction, I guess. Still, I go back to these fluffy pre-teen reads at least every few years.

My little brother actually started reading them before I did. Oh the shame! I think the first one he read was THE ACCIDENT by Diane Hoh. That lady went on to write the NIGHTMARE HALL books, which I also enjoyed (and still have a fair few of in my collection). Out front of my place I've got a book shelf for more "literary" reads, you know, to impress all the visitors. But my beloved Point book collection is tucked away in my office, where only my cats can see.

Not that I'm ashamed, of course. I'm really not. But sometimes I do get a little confused. Why do I still love these reads? It's not just nostalgia, though that does play a significant part in it all. It IS also the stories themselves. The writing isn't always particularly authentic for YA, but while I'm reading, that doesn't matter. What matters is the story and the mystery and the...cute boys.

What's on your "guilty secret" shelf? (assuming you're not too cool to have one)

8 comments:

  1. It always amuses me that, because of how many books are out there, its so easy for someone to have a "beloved childhood/teenage" book that I've never heard of! Like all the one's you mentioned above :P

    And on my guilty reads shelf? Paranormal romance. I love Laurell K Hamilton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate up the V.C. Andrews' books like they were candy. My "guilty reads" are probably my Calvin and Hobbes collection. Make me laugh every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of these. Like Julie, I ate up V.C. Andrews. My favorite kid book was THE OUTSIDERS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of those title, but Fever looks freaky!

    I admit enjoying books based on computer games I played as a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guilty pleasure in books? Well I grew up on boxes full of Mills & Boon my auntie used to pass onto me and my sister. But yes I read a lot of the incestuous V.C.Andrews too.

    Haven't heard of yours but I don't read much YA.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read some V.C. Andrews too, but only in more recent years. I had no idea it was so creepy before reading it! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Retro reading for me would be THE BOXCAR CHILDREN and pretty much anything with Laura Ingalls Wilder. I wanted to be her SO BAD when I was a kid. :)

    Merry Christmas, Trisha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have time to retro read with so many books I haven't read just begging for attention.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!