Monday 2 April 2012

A-Z ... THE BEGGAR'S OPERA




The A-Z challenge for 2012 is here, and I've decided to do an A-Z list of books I haven't read, but that I want to read. We're up to B, and without further ado...




B
Beggar's Opera, the - Peggy Blair

In beautiful, crumbling Old Havana, Canadian detective Mike Ellis hopes the sun and sand will help save his troubled marriage. He doesn’t yet know that it’s dead in the water—much like the little Cuban boy last seen begging the Canadian couple for a few pesos on the world famous Malecon. For Inspector Ricardo Ramirez, head of the Major Crimes Unit of the Cuban National Revolutionary Police, finding his prime suspect isn’t a problem—Cuban law is. He has only seventy-two hours to secure an indictment and prevent a vicious killer from leaving the island. But Ramirez also has his own troubles to worry about. He’s dying of the same dementia that killed his grandmother, an incurable disease that makes him see the ghosts of victims of unsolved murders. As he races against time, the dead haunt his every step ...

Why do I want to read it? Sounds like the sort of gritty stuff I don't read that often but enjoy when I do!

10 comments:

  1. I've heard of this book before, but never read it. It sounds intriguing!


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on B already... I'm already so far behind. This book does sound pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about Cuba. Such a mysterious place.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pick! I'll have to check this one out too - thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds good! I think I'll have to find this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds awesome! Thanks!

    -Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - visiting from the linky. Have to say yesterday's book sounds more like my type of read but I'll be interested in your review of this when you've done so I'll try and find you on Goodreads. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely sounds like an exciting read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!