Wednesday 11 April 2012

A-Z ... JACOB'S ROOM




For the A-Z challenge of 2012, I'm posting an A-Z list of books I want to read, inspired by my GoodReads "to read" list (which is rather long). For my J book, I've chosen another classic:



J


Jacob's Room - Virginia Woolf

The tale of Jacob Flanders, a lonely young man unable to reconcile his love of classical culture with the chaotic reality of World War I society, unfolds in a series of brief impressions and conversations, internal monologues, and letters. A sensitive examination of character development and the meaning of life.

Based on the life of her brother, this unforgettable book chronicles the life and times of Jacob Flanders-and remains an important work in the development of the novel form, and a shining example of Woolf's genius and literary daring.

Why do I want to read it? 
I haven't read any Virginia Woolf, and while I'm a little concerned that I might find her writing depressing, but I guess only time will tell!

5 comments:

  1. I read it. Here's my suggestion: read it slow and read it aloud. She's a writer that has to be slowly digested. Her writing is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice! I will certainly bear it in mind when the time comes :)

      Delete
  2. I've never read any Virginia Woolf either - you've tempted me to give her a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read Probably Still Nick Swansen by Virginia Euwer Wolff. Does that count for anything. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm, maybe? hehe okay I'll give you a few points for it!

      Delete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!