Monday 22 October 2012

Kyra Lennon's "Letting Go" bloghop


Today is the "Letting Go" bloghop, hosted by Kyra Lennon in celebration of the release of her novella If I Let You Go. Originally this little story was going to be released today, but because she and the rest of us couldn't wait, she brought the release date forward a bit. You can read more about Kyra's writing over at her blog on the "My Books" page.

Here are the rules for this bloghop:

"On October 22nd, I invite you to share some stories about letting go. Was there a time when you had to let go of someone or something? How did it make you feel? How did you handle it? Or if that's too personal - which I completely understand - how about writing a piece of flash fiction?  
The only rules are - obviously - it has to be related to letting go, and please keep it to a maximum of 500 words." - Kyra Lennon

And here's my contribution:


Your wind-down windows RSI-d me
Just like that ‘old skool’ steering wheel
In cursed summer we boiled together
And climbing hills was pretty tough

I called you Little One, ‘so tiny!’
My first car that I bought myself
You did me proud, my little bubby
And only with a tear did I let you go

That was a day I said hello
To a brand spankin’ new Yaris, yo
In 2009, yes, a while ago now
A truly emotional moment in time!

And though I love my auto windows
My awesome air-con/power steering
I often think of you and wonder
Just what you are doing now

Maybe you are all around me
On scrap heaps near and far, but
I like to think you’re doing better
My blue-green friend out in the world

In closing, yes, this poem’s crappy
But I know you don’t care!

25 comments:

  1. lol-- a poem to your car. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That put a smile on my face. Nice work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little car love to start the day! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ode to your car. Cute! I wonder where my first car is???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! This is GENIUS!

    Thank you very much for joining in with the bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever, I had a little car that I unfortunately wrote off. I should have written about that car and not my choice of relationship breakups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun this poem was! Never would have thought of "letting go" of a car. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I literally cried when I sold my Dodge pickup, so I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, the love of a girl and her first car. So sweet, I'm sure Little One is rusting up over this lovely tribute right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool. An original take on the prompt.
    I have fond memories of my second car, a Toyota Tazz...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I fondly look back on,m but don't want to relive, those days without AC. Ah, the family vacations with four siblings packed into a Torino...good times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saying hello from the blog hop. What a sweet poem to honor your car.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate. It was really hard for me to let go of my first car. Altho I love the new one, I still think about 'her'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, makes me miss my first car. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is pure awesome sauce! I've been through a LOT of cars (currently on #57), but I've had a few that I love and miss *sniffles*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, the first car. I think its more exciting than the first apartment, though its a close call.

    Lovely poem.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww. Loved the poem. So hard to let go of that first car!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE that!! I still remember my first car. Like a best friend, she was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed this! Oh, I don't think there are too many poems that have the word Yaris.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, I didn't think it was crappy! I thought it was lovely!!!

    Also, it turns out, I didn't so much follow the 500 word limit...I guess my eyes grazed over that. My bad.

    But really, I love the poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I liked the poem! I can't write them, so I'm always impressed when someone else does.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha I done a piece on my car for the bloghop too! Very good, I completely relate :')

    ReplyDelete
  23. No way, that was totally not crappy, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!