Sunday 11 November 2012

NaNoWriMo home stretch

I'm on the home stretch with NaNo, but I'm really slowing down. I think parts of this weekend had some responsibility for that. I did pretty well on Friday night, but much of Saturday was a write-off. I had a busy day, true, but it wasn't just that - it was also the first signs of real procrastination creeping in. Today, Sunday, is my day at home where I don't have to go out or do anything. And of course I'm using that day to avoid writing.

It's 1:53 pm and I've written about 1500 words. I've also watched a few episodes of Supernatural (s7), and now I'm going to watch 27 Dresses, mostly because I was reminded of it last night when I saw Elton John open the Perth Arena (which venue I call "Smurf Arena" because it's almost entirely BLUE in colour!), and he played "Bennie and the Jets". In other news, I am loving food today (nothing new - I love food every day). I have different snacky foods to eat and they are hard to resist, especially when I'm watching DVDs on my beautiful new TV (I haven't had a TV in years, and I finally bought one a few weekends back). In short, I guess you could say I'm now in near-full procrastination mode. With a word count of 40,410, maybe I'm feeling that I can afford to slow down.

I don't want to, though. I want to hit that 50k mark as soon as possible. I want to get through this stage of writing complete crap, and I want to do it at more than a snail's pace. Speaking of snails, I've watched them on my driveway before and thought, These guys are actually moving faster than you'd expect! Let's put it this way - snails move faster than grass grows, so if you want to use a cliché that implies slowness, the grass growth thing is probably more effective. Then again, sometimes after a heavy rain it does seem to me that grass in my backyard grows to knee-height overnight!

Yes, that's an illustration of procrastination in action. Going to watch that movie. ;)

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE 27 Dresses! Now I want to go and watch it too lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you feel like a snail, at least you're still writing faster than grass. I know what you mean by just wanting to hit the mark and be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That word count is amazing. I don't like the feeling of writing complete crap. Last year I did NaNo according to the rules and was depressed for two months and never went back to edit. I went a little rouge this year and edited as I went - word count is only 7K but I won't have to edit much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great, Trisha! The word count part, not so much the procrastination... though you can afford it.

    Currently I'm just a little past 33k with the hopes of getting to 40k by tonight. However, I still have a lot of story to go and I'm both a little scared and excited at the thought of finally having a novel a considerable length over 50k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh... 40,000+ is amazing! My 2yo is my procrastination excuse. I'm at 9000+. Slow go, but I'm gettin' there. You go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing great. I'd say you've earned that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go you! 40K is awesome. Meanwhile, I'm way back in 16K-land. C'est la vie. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm presently sitting at 3400 words. I guess I'm nowhere near a home stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grass grows that fast.
    Keep writing! You are so close.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep, my grass grows super fast. Blink and it needs another mow. Congrats on your awesome word count!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 40k words is a slow start for you? I'd love to know what a good writing week looks like than!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a little downtime (and some snacky foods!) might help re-motivate you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you keep the mojo up and running. Here's to success!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go you! I would say that at this point procrastination isn't a bad thing considering how far ahead you are, but that would be terrible support. ;) So congrats and keep up the good pace!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Elton John years ago at the University of Illinois. It was (and still remains) one of the best concerts of my life. He is over-the-top amazingly talented.

    Go, you on the writing! Good thing I'm not participating in NaNo this year because my word count has been dismal this month. At best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was really amazing. My mum saw him years ago too and says he was fabulous back then.

      Delete
  16. Keep up the good work! Over 40K is nothing to sneeze at. Takes me about six weeks to write that much -- and it's still crap. =]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, congrats on your progress! Over 40,000 words already??? I think you're due to watch a few extra tv shows/movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone!! :) I hit 50k on Day 15 officially, and now I'm just continuing with the story. :) can't get my winner's badge yet of course. Boo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!